Translate

Monday, January 23, 2012

Tax time...

My facebook status the other night was that I kinda secretly like doing taxes. It got me thinking that since I'm secretly kind of a mean person (there goes the rest of my secrets!) that maybe I should have become a tax adviser or an IRS agent. That probably wouldn't work out though. I don't know if I could deal with all of the really dumb questions that people ask. 
I don't do my taxes long hand anymore. It's been a long time since I have done that! Anyone that sits and does the paperwork version I have to give you a high five. The new tax programs that are available make it so easy I don't understand why anyone puts it off? They ask you about every question out there and then do all the work for you. All you have to do is gather all your paperwork, input it correctly and answer the questions that pop up. Bing, Bang, Boom. Taxes filed, refund in 11 days. 


© Jcpjr | Dreamstime.com

I've seen a lot of questions popping up since our W-2's have become available. I have gathered a few links to help those of you with questions.The two biggest issues I have seen so far I'll save you some time and just give you the answers:





If you our your spouse is in the military you can file for free through H&R Block. Log into https://www.militaryonesourceeap.org/achievesolutions/en/mos/Home.do and then click on the link H&R Block at Home. You can always decide not to submit the return if you don't like the results. You also have free tax preparation available to you on base but you may have to make an appointment or wait in line. 

Did you know if you're deployed to a combat zone you automatically receive a 180-day extension for filing tax returns, paying taxes, filing claims for refunds, and taking other actions with the IRS?

You may also qualify for additional benefits like excluding certain pays from your income, deducting non reimbursed expenses like moving expenses, travel expenses, or uniform expenses. 

Did you know if you move overseas and pay to move your family pet that you can deduct those expenses on your tax return? Make sure to keep all of your receipts. 

Here are some more tips for military members at tax time.


Once you have filed you can check the status of your refund here
Below is a chart showing when you can expect your refund based on filing date.


**update...I've been getting reports that you can expect a 1 week delay from the posted dates but have not found info online to confirm this or not. 


No comments:

Post a Comment