Translate

Sunday, January 1, 2012

A taste of home: Apple Crisp Pie


First day of 2012, first pie ever...I'm thinking that it's a fitting start?

If this pie turns out it'll be a miracle. I think I should have tried something simple to start with. I couldn't find just the right recipe so I combined parts of 3 different recipes. One I found online, one was in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, and one was from my mother.



Of course the commissary was closed today so I had to make due with what we had on hand (and my neighbor Jennifer had on hand, thanks by the way!) We used 4 granny smith apples and a huge red and yellow one (see how much I know about apples...) My husband was sweet enough to peel them and cut them up for me while I made the crust.  FROM SCRATCH!! Yeah, that's right. No store bought crust for MY first pie! Ha ha!
Here's what I did...

1 1/4 C Flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 C Crisco
4 Tbsp cold water

I blended the flour, salt and crisco until the lumps were pea sized. Then I added the cold water 1 Tbsp at a time mixing it with a fork and pushing against the sides of the bowl until it was all mixed in and I could shape a ball. I rolled it out on a lightly floured pastry sheet. Then I wrapped the dough around my rolling pin to transfer it to the pie plate. (My new Polish Pottery pie plate whoot whoot!!) It went pretty well.


Then I made a coating for the apples. ..
3/4 C Sugar
2 Tbsp Flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2 Tbsp butter cut into tiny cubes


I mixed all these together and then added in the apples stirring well to coat them. Then I put the apples into the pie plate and started making the crumb crust.
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 C oatmeal
1/3 C melted margarine
3/4 C Flour
3/4 C brown sugar




I mixed all this together until it was crumbly and then carefully poured it over the pie. I'm baked it at 375 degrees F for an hour then covered it with foil and baked another 20 minutes.. 


and voila! 

I started typing this up as it baked so I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. We're eating it RIGHT now and it is AMAZING!  Warm apple crisp pie with vanilla ice cream... it's going to be a good year :)








No comments:

Post a Comment