Translate

Saturday, April 23, 2011

European Cyberball 2011

Last night we attended the 2011 Cyber Ball in Weisbaden, Germany. (The theme should have been "The Night of Extreme Foot Torture" but it was actually "Strong Beginnings") The event was held at the Weisbaden Kurhaus. It was gorgeous. There were over 680 people in attendance. Tickets actually sold out. The buffet was delicious and it was a lot of fun to get dressed up. I only wish I had worn more comfortable shoes! I still feel like I am walking on marbles. I was proud of myself for staying tough and I did not take my shoes off until 
we left the ballroom and were walking to the car! Oh, and maybe next time I'll remember to bring some Euros so I can get myself a drink. A .21 Liter bottle of water cost 3.50 Euro! (thats 7.1 ounces of water for $5.07!!) Luckily there was a bottle of wine provided for each table and a .25L bottle of water for each guest for toasting. The toast was my favorite part aside from the actual food. The toasts were as follows:


"Ladies and gentlemen, I propose a toast to our Host Nation!"
(response) "To Germany!"


"Ladies and gentlemen, I propose a toast to the United States of America!"
(response) "To the United States!"


"Ladies and gentlemen, I propose a toast to the United States Army!"
(response) "Army Strong!"


"Ladies and gentlemen, I propose a toast to the Signal Regiment!"
(response) "To the Regiment!"


"Ladies and gentlemen, I propose a toast to the Commander in Chief!"
(response) "To the President!"


"Ladies and gentlemen, I propose a toast to our Deployed Soldiers!"
(response) "To keeping the peace!"


 (We were instructed to fill our water glass for the next toast because in Vietnam only 
water was available.)
(Photo by Jonathon M. Gray)


"We call your attention to this small table, which occupies a place of dignity and honor 
near the head table, t
his Table, it is Small – set for one, symbolizing the frailty of one prisoner alone against his oppressors.

The Table Cloth is White – symbolizing the purity of their intentions to respond to their country’s call to arms.
The Single Rose – displayed in the vase reminds us of the families and friends of our mission brothers who keep faith while awaiting their return.
The Red Ribbon – tied prominently on the vase reminds us of the red ribbons worn on the lapels and brothers who are not among us tonight.
The Place Setting – single, alone no friends or family to dine with.
A slice of Lemon – reminds us of their bitter fate.
Salt Sprinkled – on the plate reminds us of the countless fallen tears of families as they wait.
The Glass is Inverted – they cannot toast with us this night.
The Chair is Empty – they are not here.
The Candle – reminiscent of the light of hope which lives in our hearts to light the way home: from their captors to the open arms of a grateful nation.
The Bible – represents the strength gained through faith to sustain those lost from us, from our country, founded as one nation under God.
Let us pray to the Supreme Commandant that all our brothers will soon again be among our ranks.”
"Ladies and gentlemen, I propose a toast to our Fallen Comrades!"(response) "To our Fallen Comrades!"


"Ladies and gentlemen, I propose a toast to the beautiful ladies present!"
(response) "To the Ladies!"




I forgot my normal camera so the only pictures I took were on my cell phone and since it was dimly lit they didn't turn out fantastic. I'll post what I have. If you'd like to see the commercial AFN aired click here (the soldier in the video sat at our table ;)





The receiving line 


Me and my husband shaking hands with the commander (Photo by Jonathon M. Gray)


(Photo by Jonathon M. Gray)


The Lobby of the Kurhaus





The Lobby of the Kurhaus


The ballroom


There was also seating upstairs


(Photo by Jonathon M. Gray)


Everyone received a commemorative stein


The program




I never want to see these shoes again! It felt so good to throw them on the floor when we got home! Anyone want to by a used pair of heels?



 To view the professional pictures taken at the ball

4 comments:

  1. I'm soooo with you on that theme! My feet are kinda swollen and I had to wear heels the very next day for a wedding....been walking around bare footed ever since :)

    Do you by any chance know how we can get the pictures taken at the receiving line?There was a guy taking pictures of everyone but I never got his number .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You poor thing! My feet still hurt a little, haha! I haven't heard where those pictures will be available yet but I will keep trying to find out. There were a lot taken inside also that I would like to see also. I will keep you updated if I get that information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looked Beautiful! Glad you guys had a wonderful time, except for the hurting feet part ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I emailed one of the POC for the Cyber Ball and he gave me this link to view the pictures from the Ball :)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5sigcmd/sets/72157626582859364/

    ReplyDelete