Translate

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Spring Chicken



I'm about to lose all credibility, but here it is...


Have you heard of the Spring Chicken? According to my daughter's favorite show the Spring Chicken comes to announce the beginning of Spring, but if it doesn't see a blooming flower it won't get warm! That's why we planted some seeds and cared for them so that on March 20th the chicken would announce the first day of Spring!  Well that didn't go so well. I guess my mom didn't pass her green thumb down to me but luckily, I still had the flowering plant I got as a thank you from the flower shop. I'm going to make sure the Spring Chicken sees it because we definitely need some warm weather around here! 



I sure hope he saw that!!




Here are some other spring folklore myths....


Question: According to folklore, you can stand a raw egg on its end on the equinox. Is this true?
Answer: One spring, a few minutes before the vernal equinox, several Almanac editors tried this trick. For a full workday, 17 out of 24 eggs stood standing. Three days later, we tried this trick again and found similar results. Perhaps 3 days after the equinox was still too near. Try this yourself and let us know what happens!


Have you seen the pictures circulating around facebook of brooms balancing and eggs standing on end? Supposedly it's because of some alignment during the equinox but you can really balance those items any time during the year. It's rare anyone tries though. http://www.snopes.com/science/equinox.asp





One swallow does not make a spring.
Bluebirds are a sign of spring; warm weather and gentle south breezes they bring.
In spring, no one thinks of the snow that fell last year.
Spring-time sweet!
The whole Earth smiles, thy coming to greet.
Don’t say that spring has come until you can put your foot on nine daisies. (I did this one too!!)



Happy first day of spring everyone!!

2 comments:

  1. I think it was a chicken that spread that particular rumor. I have free range chickens, and trust me - they only want to see the flowers so they can eat them. Or at least taste them. Or at least shred them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! maybe.... but it seemed to have worked!

    ReplyDelete