Translate

Friday, March 30, 2012

Rhine River Castle Hunting

These are the castles along the Rhine River. They were taken from the car in the late evening the same day that we visited Schloss Stolzenfels and Burg Lahneck so some are not of the best quality. We missed a few along the way or weren't able to get a good shot but I was excited at the number of castles we were able to see in one day. Now I have a reference to look back on and decide which we want to go back and visit up close.

Burg Katz

Burg Maus

Burg Reichenstein

Burg Rheinstein

Burg Leibenstein (Hostile Brothers)

Sterrenberg Castle (Hostile Brothers)

Both Hostile Brothers


Sooneck






Fortress Rheinfels

Gutenfels

Klopp Castle

Marksburg Castle

Mäuseturm (Mouse Tower)

Pfalzgrafenstein

Ruin Furstenberg

Schönburg

Stahleck Castle
  
For more information about these beautiful castles I found this website super helpful.

View my previous posts of other Rhine River Castles we have visted up close.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thanks for the memories.

    I first arrived in Europe in 1958 and was sent to Bordeaux, France. My next tour was in 1961 when, after having been in Verdun, I was sent to Coleman Barracks outside of Mannheim. While there, I made a number of trips up and down the Rhine from near the Swiss border to Cologne.

    I also did another tour in Wuerzberg, then a wonderful three years in Vienna. Castle-haunting was my favorite past time.

    The castle you showed in this post were last viewed by me in about 1983 or 1984. How well I remember finding nice little riverside cafes at which to stop for a glass of outstanding wines and awesome pastries.

    The pictures made my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete