Translate

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Birthdays!

I've been so busy this week I haven't done a very good job of keeping up on my posting so unfortunately I will have to combine some events that I would have liked to have posted separately ...


Last Thursday was my friend Miranda's birthday so we planned to have a joint birthday party for her and another friend's daughter. The little girl had a fever and we postponed her party until this week. She celebrated with a picnic at the park complete with cupcakes with nutella frosting followed by an evening at the bowling alley. It was so fun to spend the day with friends! (I'll post the pictures a little further down.)
 It was also my husband's birthday last weekend. We celebrated with a trip to IKEA and McDonald's in Saarlouis and then Cora in Saint Avold, France. On the way home our crazy GPS encouraged us to take the scenic route. (It would have been much more scenic had it not been dark out already!) My husband and daughter made homemade pizza together and we had cake. My heart melted a little seeing them making that pizza together. They've missed out on a lot of father/daughter time with him being away so much.  My Grandmother & Sister-in-law also had a birthday last week. I gather July must be a "hot" month if you follow my train of thought ;) 


I think this week is better expressed through pictures so here it is for you:



McDonald's in Saarlouis, Germany


The trash in Germany is much different. They recycle everything so instead of dumping your trash into a bin or a bag, the other side of this has shelves and you place your entire tray on it. A worker sorts through it all later and puts everything in the correct recycling bin.


Below that sign is another row of shelves to place trays on.





She was pretty excited to play in the play area outside


The drive through was an enclosed tunnel that wrapped around the building & had a mural painted on the wall.


Flowers in bloom along the road between Germany and France


Crossing the French border. We took our passports just in case, but we did not have to stop and show them.


The sky was so beautiful I was really wishing I was outside instead of riding inside a car!






There were a ton of these smoke stacks really close together just outside Saint Avold. (Took me awhile to figure out it was a nuclear power plant - smack!)



We passed by the Lorraine American Cemetary and Memorial in Saint Avold but it was already closed.  The Lorraine American Cemetery and Memorial in France covers 113.5 acres and contains the largest number of graves of our military dead of World War II in Europe, a total of 10,489. It's open to the public daily from 9am to 5pm. The only days it is closed is on Christmas day and New Years day. We just got there a little too late that day. I would have liked to visit. Maybe next time. 


The best picture I could get on the way home when the GPS was torturing us.


So proud to be making pizza with her daddy.


I think they used two bags of cheese! But it was good :)




I did a horrible job writing on the cake. It's a good thing birthdays only come once a year!


One of my daughters friends turned 2


I think we had every one of their lightweight balls in our lane. Even the two year old had bowling shoes on. It was adorable. I'd never seen such tiny bowling shoes. Too bad she wouldn't stay still long enough to get a picture. 


My poor husband was the only adult that bowled and out of the five children, I think at least three of them beat him! (but everyone had fun)




No comments:

Post a Comment