Translate

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Who am I?

I think we're all trying to answer that question but my 5 a.m. decision to publicly seek the answer through my blogging is starting to seem a bit hasty. Maybe it'll be easier to be honest with myself if the curtains are open and the whole world is watching. (OK, so maybe it's just my neighbors across the street!)  I will start small and work my way up to the harder questions.



I am a proud Army wife stationed in Germany with my husband, our daughter and our (very expensive) cat. I am mostly a stay at home mom but I do a little knitting on the side for fun. We have been exploring here for just shy of a year. My husband and I grew up in South Dakota in a fairly small town  that I will visit but I plan to never live in again. When you are born somewhere that has 6-7 months of winter per year and the temperatures get as cold as -20 degrees Fahrenheit it seems completely normal. You hear stories that other places are warm during winter, but thats a little like seeing a picture of the Eiffel Tower and actually seeing it in real life. Now that we have gotten away and experienced the pleasant winters of Texas and the " cold-but-not-as-harsh-as-South Dakota" winters here in Germany I can't help but raise my eyebrows at my friends and family for choosing to stay in such a frigid place.  I suppose there are people who would look at me the same way for choosing this Army life as well but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I have seen some incredible things and places, met the warmest people and become a self reliant, independent person along the way...and we're not done yet!  What else is in store for us? That is another question for another post. :)
-Hborstad
Front door in SD after this weekends storm (photo courtesy of Heidi Ruckdaschel)





No comments:

Post a Comment